Sunday 26 July 2009

Angels

I've noticed, whenever I have submitted photographs to the public forums, just how popluar images featuring angels are. Why this should be so, I'm not quite sure. As a piece of art, it is often slightly parisitical, since invariably one is capturing in light an image that somebody else has already shaped out of, say, marble, or stone. Art from art. And whereas that sculpting has doubtless taken many hours, my photographing it takes less than a second. It seems to me that the final image is disproportionately credited to the photographer. In the case of monuments found in cemeteries and churches, it saddenes me that the artist is so often unknown. I would like to credit the work as a joint effort, and 99% attributable to the sculpter. As for the reason for their popularity, I think angels represent something outside of us that we can fall back on for comfort, reassurance, and hope. We may not necassarily believe that they exist, but we like the idea of them. Angels are friendly, cute, mysterious. They provide a mirror for our emotions, taking our sadness from us, lifting our spirits. We can confide in them, trust in them, rely on them. They are selfless, innocent and everpresent. And they have wings

1 comment:

  1. Kia ora e Jules!

    A fascinating site. I've just spent the last half-hour absorbing the photos. Some art here.

    Catchya later

    ReplyDelete